Thursday, February 14, 2008

My personal portfolio.

For my personal portfolio this semester, I intend to deal with body image. Specifically I want to explore body alternations such as tattoos and piercings. I love looking at tattoos and am fascinated with the way people use them to express themselves. I see it as an artistic form of self expression. I would like to capture the personality of the individual and the way that it is reflected through their body alteration. As far as subjects go, I want to shoot a wide variety of people to show that people of all walks of life express themselves in this way. I will be shooting my photographs with a traditional 35 millimeter camera, as well as digital. I would like to learn more about portraiture and lighting as I work on this project so that I have a better understanding of both topics. I think my biggest difficulty in this project will be lighting. I have had some trouble in the past with over or under exposing my images and would like to get better at finding the correct exposure. I think this additional information will allow me to take better photographs and explore this medium further.

3 comments:

Rhona McBain said...

This sounds great. Are you also interested in the creative aspect of the people would are creating the tat? Most of the time there is a great deal of exchange between the people making the tat and the people receiving them.

shainas said...

I think this sounds like a great idea and I hope that everything comes out the way or even better than you hope!

nikki said...

Thanks for the input girls! I am hoping this series comes out well too. I am planning on shooting the exchange as well as the final results. I am going with friends in about a week to Oklahoma City and we are planning a trip to get new tattoos and piercings. I plan on shooting a ton of film while we are there. It should be interesting.